Stand assembly/features videos:
Here’s my back story…I recently finished a my build of a large-format CNC milling machine. I’m currently trying to set up a side business for custom furniture/engraving/etc…One of my purchases was the Ultimaker 2 and I’m loving working in CAD and making functional parts with this machine.
I decided to make a stand-alone piece of furniture for specifically for the Ultimaker 2 as I needed all of my available desk space for other things. I wanted to build in some functionality as well as help with a few known issues.
Originally I only intended to make the one but it came out so well I felt others might be interested in something like this as well. My 1st stand was a glue-together affair and I realized that having people glue and clamp a stand together is kind of a big ask. I went back and pretty much did a total redesign of the stand so it could be sold in kit form and be put together with Ikea-style fasteners in about 10minutes.
After a couple of iterations I’m finally able to produce these stands with the tolerances I’m happy with.
**The built-in features:
- Cooling fans that exhaust hot air away from the power block,
- 3d printed bracing that doesn’t allow the machine to move and translate that movement into defects on the print,
- Under-mounted filament spool holder w/ low-friction spool holder(Robert’s design modified for this application)…This allows you put the machine closer to a wall and eliminates the need to move the UM to change filament,
- A built-in filament guide which channels the filament directly into the bottom of the extruder…This gives the filament a clean path and straightens it slightly prior to entering the extruder,
- …and of course the added bonus of being able to put you UM wherever you’d like because the footprint of the stand is barely larger than the UM itself.
I’m including some pics as well as a 2 part assembly video(which also goes into features)…
I’m trying to figure out how to go about trying to sell this stand…via Etsy, personal website, or UM distributor…I’d like to get these stands out and into the hands of a few Beta testers to confirm the great results I’m seeing(put in hundreds of hours so far with this setup).
Ideally Beta testers would be within 2 hours of the Cleveland, OH area/are heavily active on the forum/are willing to write a review of the stand/and are willing to sign a NDA. My business email is: email@example.com
I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!!