Why not let customers cancel? Reason #845 3DHubs hates hubs

Quote from customer: "I'm not sure how to go about canceling the order for now. Confusing website"

Yup. Many reasons they would need to but instead it's a REJECTION from the hub.

I select "Customer is not interested in the order anymore" and then it has a mandatory field for why I'm declining.

...it's because the customer isn't interested. Let them do this.

+1

Actually, I agree with you.

I have had quite a few orders with models that are simply not suited for a) 3D printing in general or b) not suitable for my type of printers (FDM).

Lots of people have seen pictures and videoclips of amazing prints on the internet or TV, picturing prints that took a 500K printer to do, let alone the 48 hours of hand finishing to get it exactly right. They also don't realise that it's probably not even the first print they get to see but perhaps the 10th iteration of that particular model before the company got it right.

After all, nobody is showboating their failures.

Usually, after some messages back and forths, it is mutually decided that an order should be cancelled because of whatever reason. But in 99% of the cases, I end up having to decline it myself because the customer does not know how to, or simply 'forgets'.

+1

At least hubs should not be penalized for rejecting orders. There are many legitimate reasons to reject orders, it is a normal part of operating any business and is often done in the customer's best interest. People do not understand the limits of 3D printing and routinely upload models that are unprintable. I'm not sure if they can see the warnings from 3D hubs file analysis but from my experience they perceive as an automated analysis that is probably wrong and couldn't care less. Other times they just want to ask a question but the inquiry button is not very obvious so they open an order.

And then there is the one customer with some unprintable nonsense opening his orders across 10 different hubs hoping one would accept it. Again, how is this the hub's fault? Why should a hub have to take a hit for being unable to break the laws of physics, matter and time?

Yet when we reject the order it's fed into some nebulous algorithm that downranks the hub.  Support has told me this is not a problem because all hubs get about the same number of unusable orders so it evens out in the end. Thats like getting an unfair speeding ticket but being told that the radar gun is off so all drivers get equally unfairly ticketed and it evens out.

I understand 3D Hubs does not want hubs cherry picking easy prints. However, I'm sure the percentage of hubs that do this is very very low, and this is something that should be dealt with by a human reviewing the hub rather than a blind algorithm that fails to see the complete picture.

+1

Whats the other 844 reasons?

+1

You must be new here

+1

Ive been here way longer than you and performing better. 

+1

Cool, go print yourself a trophy

+1

ok

+1

*applause* This is exactly what I would have done! (Although in resin)  On a side note, it seems that someone is following keeble81 around and downvoting everything he posts, even if 'unjustified' based on community standards. I am upvoting him to negate that if the post has merit, amusement, or is at least neutral (to me and/or your 'community' standards). A person with a dissenting opinion from the 'masses' doesn't make his views invalid. While I don't know keeble81, if you have a problem with him speak up, downvoting anonymously is pretty weak.

+1

Hi guys,

It is important for 3D Hubs to measure the number of orders a Hub declines or refunds. Weighted completion rate is a performance metric indicating the ratio of orders completed against the orders that are declined or refunded over the last 50 orders received.

This is a relative metric and the number gains significance only when comparing it to the other Hubs. We don't expect anyone to have the metric at 100% as given the nature of 3D printing it is nearly impossible with a larger amount of orders. If you see the metric to be yellow - you're performing in line with the majority of the active Hubs and are thus rewarded against Hubs that have failed to complete more orders then usual.

From the data we do have, it should be very unlikely to fall to the "red" zone by luck alone. If an edge case arises where unusual amount of orders (>3) get submitted in a row (which can indeed accumulate the impact), you can reach out to us over support@3dhubs.com to re-evaluate the situation.

Best,
Arnoldas

+1

You have completely missed his point.  He is talking about the customer canceling not the hub declining the order.

Why do hubs continue to be penalized for things they have NO control over?

For example - I had a customer duplicate and order because your system was so confusing and not working correctly.  YOU told him to re-create the order then YOU deleted their duplicate order but now it shows as a decline for me even though I completed what they wanted.

How can I have a 94.29% completion ratio when I have NEVER declined an order and have completed and delivered every order?

+1

I understand. Yes - the ratio goes down even if the Hub didn't do anything wrong, but it is heavily adjusted by the reason of the decline. Without this - there would be no reward for Hubs that do manage to convert more orders then other Hubs (by helping with the model repair or similar). 

This would only be an actual penalty for your Hub if no other Hubs get such orders and you stand out with a much lower order completion rate. Generally, 1-2 out of 10 customers indeed submit something un-printable (or changes their mind) with this likelihood your will not fall bellow any threshold that would punish your Hub. 

Again, we don't expect you to have 100% acceptance rate and for the edge-cases where the amount of such customers increase - you can reach out to support. 

+1

Again, it is things I have no control over.  I already had the customer so no "converting" anything to an order.  You had them duplicate the order then you canceled one of them.  Why should a hub be penalized for something like this.

Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter anymore anyway since this is no longer a free marketplace.

+1

I have reached out to support, they didn't seem to care. I was told its only a small amount 0.4% each time. Although I have dropped 2% and now get the warning on my dashboard that I need to improve my accept rate. Ive never declined an order for not wanting to print, its typically they stop responding, create a new a order, or change their mind and dont want it printed. 

+1

It's more than .4%. I lost nearly 1.5% on one unpaid order. The customer placed the order, I responded within 3 minutes. They said I need to cancel. The end, and I am punished for that. There's no "conversion" happening here whatsoever, punishing a hub for that is just nonsense.

+1

Where do we say that you need to improve it? You have a great completion rate and no warning should be shown to you. Could you screenshot it and send it over to me: arnoldas@3dhubs.com ?

This might be simply a bug. 

Not the answer you’re looking for? Ask a new question to experts active on Talk.

The 3D Printing Handbook is available now

If you’re a professional looking to master the key aspects of 3D printing, this book is for you.

The 3D printing handbook